Sunday, May 03, 2009

This Week

This week I will be publishing my short story The Meat Shall Inherit the Earth. I will publish it in parts to make it easier to read and digest. And hopefully there’ll be enough cliffhangers to entice you to come back and read the next installment.

Hope you enjoy it. Here's a short excerpt to get you in the mood...

About an hour later, I heard the first one come in.

Sharkey and I spent that hour eating food and listening to the radio. You know, goofing off. I was reading Sharkey’s comic book then and Sharkey was asleep, leaning his head against stainless-steel cabinets above the prep area.. I heard the door open and close, followed by some heavy footsteps. I couldn’t see around the big fryer, so I just called out: “Pete! Bring any weed with ya?” No answer. I shrugged it off. Pete was a great guy – and a fairly average manager – but sometimes he could get in a mood.

Then I heard the door open and close again. Followed by more heavy footsteps and a distinct odor of manure.

“Pete,” I called out. “What’s up man! You smell like a farm!”

More footsteps. This time I heard grunting noises. Real deep grunting. Like someone was trying to push a piece of meat out of his throat.

“Sharkey,” I whispered. Sharkey was still asleep. I threw his comic book at him. He didn’t open his eyes.

“Fuck you,” he mumbled.

I slid off of a stool and crawled on the floor towards him. I hit his leg. “Ow,” he whined, looking down at me.

I put my finger to my lips to quiet him. Then I pointed out toward the front of the restaurant. He got the picture. Sharkey grimaced and jumped down to the floor with me.

“What’s up,” he hissed.

“I think we’re being robbed,” I said quietly, over-enunciating every word so he could read my lips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home